Sunday, September 07, 2008

Dray Walk

Weekend morning at Fröken Olssons, the table next to me populated by German exchange students discussing an upcoming exam. Suddenly my memory plays me a trick, for a split second I am at Café 1001 on Dray Walk, a small alley off Brick Lane in London. It is raining outside, the worn leather armchairs are still reverberating from the late-night dj session, and everything seems to be for real.


“- En mozzarellapanini till Anna”, a shrill inimitable voice throws me back to Gothenburg in the most brutal manner. The illusion is gone and you wonder why it is so difficult to reconcile yourself with the world.

Skulle det bero på människan och de krafter hon kan mobilisera för att komma igenom den trånga ingången och sedan framåt på himmelrikets väg, så vore det hopplöst. Men nu såsom förr säger Herren: ’Det som är omöjligt för människor, det är möjligt för Gud.’

For weeks my laptop case has been carrying around “Den fördolda verkstaden” by the Christian mystic Hjalmar Ekström. I turn pages and rejoice in leaving the aesthetic escapism of places. Existentially, it does not matter if you wake up in London or on the west coast of Sweden, the distance you keep comes from inside.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home